Do you need a credit card to verify your Paypal Cameroon Account OR to buy products from any online shop from Cameroon OR subscribe to any service online. If yes, then this article was specifically written for you.
In this article, i,m going to introduce you to UBA Africard Visa Card.
If you have haven’t heard about this card, then you are “probably” a “Johnny just come” in the internet entrepreneurship milieu.
UBA Africard is a prepaid Visa card issued by United Bank for Africa (UBA). Its the most common type of bank card in Africa… mostly used by the internet entrepreneurs in Africa to run their online business. Almost all the internet entrepreneurs in Cameroon own this card.
UBA Africard is an empty prepaid Visa card that anybody can buy from the UBA bank with just 10,000frs to store cash (without opening an account with the UBA bank). The cash deposited in your UBA Africard, can be used to pay for products and services online.
For example if you wish to buy a 25000frs ($50) Android smartphone from the US Amazon online store today, you just need to go to your nearest UBA Branch with the 10,000frs application fee and apply for the UBA Africard card and you will be issued an empty UBA Africard visa card. After obtaining the bank card, you just need to deposit 25,000frs in to your card and then use the funds in your UBA Africard Visa Card to buy the 25,000frs smartphone on Amazon or any online store. As easy as ABC.
Your UBA Africard credit card is just like your online shopping wallet (your e-wallet). Whenever you want to buy any product or pay for any service online, you just need to deposit an amount in to your card which is equivalent to the price/fee of the product or service you wish to pay for and then use your UBA Africard Visa Card to pay for the product or service.
One of the reasons why UBA Africard is common among the internet entrepreneurs in Cameroon is because its very easy to get a UBA Africard from UBA with very little amount of money and the application process is hassle free and fast i.e. UBA Africard is issued instantly.
UBA Africard applicants don’t need to open a bank account with the UBA in order to be issued the UBA Africard credit card unlike the debit cards.
These are some of the reasons why UBA Africard is highly sought after by Internet Entrepreneurs in Cameroon (and Africa at large).
1) You can use a UBA Africard to verify your Paypal Cameroon account and make payments online with a UBA Africard linked your Paypal account.
2) UBA Africard Visa Card is accepted by all ecommerce platforms. I have bought items on US Amazon and Ebay using this UBA Africard. I have also registered so many domain names at Godaddy.com with my UBA Africard.
3) You can withdraw money from your foreign Paypal Account to your UBA Africard Visa. If you don’t know what a foreign Paypal account is, read how to receive money in Cameroon via Paypal.
4) UBA Africards can hold up to 2 million frs CFA; which gives internet entrepreneurs a lot of flexibility in carrying out their online transactions.
Requirements and procedures on how to obtain a UBA Africard credit card from the UBA banks in Cameroon.
Before going to your nearest UBA branch to apply for the UBA Africard visa card, you will need to take along with you, the following items.
- 4 passport size photographs (taken red background).
- A Photocopy of your birth certificate. A photocopy of your National Identity card (ID card).
- 10,000 frs (the application fee). In other words, it will cost you just 10,000frs to obtain the UBA Africard visa card.
- A photocopy of one of your utility bills like electricity bill, water bill or any bill that clearly indicates your house address.
[wpsm_box type=”warning” float=”none” text_align=”undefined”]
People who don,t have any utility bill (like the students) will be asked to draw a sketch route map from their nearest UBA branch to their house. The Sketch route map is just to tell UBA the location of your house. UBA just want to know where you live for your own good. If you don,t know how to draw the sketch route, you can just tell one of the UBA agents where you live and he or she will help you to draw a sketch route from their branch to your house.
[wpsm_box type=”info” float=”none” text_align=”undefined”]
Summarily, the 3 things you need in order to obtain a MyUBAAfricard from UBA is just 4 passport size photographs, a photocopy of your birth certificate and national identity card.
After you have gotten all the above items, go to the UBA bank in your town and apply for the MyUBAAfricard.
The UBA bank has branches in almost every town in Cameroon and other African countries.
After arriving at your nearest UBA bank, please tell the UBA agent in charge that you wish to apply for the UBA Africard and the UBA agent will give you UBA Africard application form to fill.
This is how the form looks like.
Carefully fill the form with the required information and feel free to ask for help in case you don,t understand something. The UBA agent will be very happy to help you.
After you have completely filled out the application form, you will be asked to submit your 4 passport size photographs and also the photocopy of your birth certificate and ID card.
Like i told you before, you may also be asked to submit a photocopy of the receipt of one of your utility bills like water or electricity bills or the photocopy of any bill that has your address written on it. If you don,t have that, you will be asked to draw a sketch route from your nearest UBA branch to your house. To avoid the headache, just tell the UBA agent to help you draw it. Thats what i did when applying for my own MyUBAAfricard.
Ok after you have done all that, you will be given the account number of your UBA Africard Visa Card, to make your initial (first) deposit. Your Initial deposit must not be less than 10,000frs because 10000, needs to be deducted from your UBA Africard account as the application fee of your credit card.
In my case, i deposited 12,000 frs in to my UBAAfricard account and 10,000frs (the application fee) was automatically deducted and 2000frs was left in my credit card account. Thats the way UBA collects their MyUBAAfricard application fee.
After you have deposited the 10,000frs application fee in to your MyUBAAfricard account, you will be given a device to enter your 4 digit ATM pin code and your online shopping pin in order to activate your UBA Africard . Please make sure that you enter a 4 digit pin that is hard to guess. Pin numbers like 1234,0000, are very easy to guess.
Ok after you have entered your ATM and online pin, yourUBA Africard credit card will be issued (handed over) to you instantly. You can now leave the UBA bank with your new card and start shopping online.
How to activate your UBA Africard.
There are some UBA branches that doesn’t help the UBA Africard applicants to activate their UBA Africard( maybe because they lack the device that enables them to do so).
They will just issue you the UBA Africard and tell you to go and activate it by yourself. It should be noted that if you don,t activate your UBA Africard, you won,t be able to shop online with your UBA Africard or even withdraw funds from your UBA Africard through an ATM machine.
If you were asked to activate your UBA Africard by yourself, just follow the simple procedures below to quickly activate it. Its very easy!!! (maybe that,s why they want you to do it by yourself). Within 2 minutes your credit card will be fully activated and ready for you to use.
Steps to activate your UBA Africard for online shopping.
To activate your UBA Africard for online shopping, you just need to change the default online pin of your UBA Africard and the your card will be activated. This is how to change the default pin.
Step 1. Type www.myubaafricard.com to go to the UBA Africard official website.
Step 2. After arriving at the UBA Africard website, just click on the verified by Visa link and then enter the default online pin code of your UBA Africard and your new 4 digit online pin code.
[wpsm_box type=”info” float=”none” text_align=”undefined”]
The default online pin code is often written on the envelope that your UBA Africard was issued with.
Ok after you have done that, just click on the change pin button below and you are done. As easy as ABC. You can start shopping online.
However your UBA Africard isn,t fully activated yet. You still need to activate it for ATM withdrawal by also changing the default ATM pin code of your UBA Africard. Take note that if you don,t activate your card for ATM withdrawal, you won,t be able to withdraw funds from your card through an ATM machine.
To activate your UBA Africard for ATM withdrawal, you just need to change the default ATM pin code.
Follow the simple procedures below to change it.
- Step 1. Go to the UBA Africard website.
- Step 2. Click on the manage pin link.
- Step 3. Enter your default ATM pin and your new pin and then click on the change pin button below. Your UBA Africard will now be activated.
Whenever you want to withdraw cash from your UBA Africard through an ATM, use your new ATM pin code and not your default pin.
Ok now your UBA Africard is now fully activated. You can start shopping online.
10 Interesting facts about the UBA Africard
- You don,t need to open a bank account with the UBA bank in order to be issued a UBA Africard Visa card unlike the UBA debit cards which requires that you create a bank account for it to be issued. Africards are prepaid cards (e-wallets) issued by the UBA Bank for you to pay for products and services online. Its just like an online shopping wallet.
- It will cost you just $20 to get a UBA Africard from any UBA bank in Africa…which is very cheap as compared to the UBA debit cards which requires that you open a bank account with the UBA bank. This explains why people of all walks of life own a UBA Africard.
- UBA Africards are issued INSTANTLY! i.e. after you have applied for a UBA Africard and paid the $20 UBA Africard application fee, a brand new UBA Africard Visa card will be handed over to you instantly… which implies that within a space of 30 minutes, you can apply and get a UBA Africard from any UBA bank in Africa and start shopping online.
- UBA Africards are not only used for online purchases. You can also save and withdraw money from your UBA Africard from any ATM machine in the world at any time of the day. This explains why UBA Africard is the most secure way to carry cash around. You don,t need to carry huge sums of money in a wallet or suit case. Your wallet or suitcase can be stolen by thieves or you can misplace your wallet. Simply keep your money in your UBA Africard and withdraw your money (anytime you need physical cash) from any ATM machine in the world. If your UBA prepaid card gets lost or stolen, you are protected against fraudulent purchase transactions from the moment you report the loss to UBA (Call CFC on +234 1 280 8822).If you misplaced your UBA Africard, you just need to go to the bank you applied for the UBA Africard and a new prepaid card will be issued to you with the funds in your Africard still intact.
- You won,t be charged for withdrawing money from your UBA Africard from a UBA ATM machine.
- Since a UBA Africard isn’t link to a bank account, you won,t suffer a lot of damage if your UBA Africard is hacked. If your UBA Africard is hacked, you will only lose the funds in your UBA Africard but if a UBA debit card (which is linked to a bank account) is hacked, the hacker can steal all the funds in your UBA bank account.
- UBA prepaid cards offers the best means to manage your expenses when shopping online i.e. your UBA prepaid Visa card can be pre-funded with the funds you need to cover your expenses for a given period. It’s not linked to your main account, so you get to stick to your budget!
- UBA Africards are one of the PayPal accepted cards i.e. you will be able to use your UBA Africard to verify your PayPal account or open a verified PayPal account in any part of Africa.
Ok guys, we have come to the end of this article. If there’s anything you haven’t understood, send me a message via WhatsApp.